Dienstag, 15. November 2011

FIXED!! Cluttered Fonts in Gnome 3 on Radeon R200 / ATi Radeon Xpress 1200 GPU

Finally!
I was trying for months to get my Dell Latitude XT, containing an ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 GPU to render the gnome-shell aka gnome3 without cluttered fonts in the panel.

I tried various versions and patches, but all one has to do is patch the mesa package with this patch:

 https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=46709

I got it from here:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35998

Since I do not really know what I do and I have problems to upload it to AUR, I post the description here in case someone has similar problems.

THIS GUIDE IS FOR ARCH LINUX USERS WITH A RADEON R200 GPU AND PROBLEMS WITH FONTS IN GNOME-SHELL
  
  • Install the ArchBuildSystem abs   "sudo pacman -S abs base-devel"
  • Install missing dependancies "sudo pacman -S flex bison"
  • Copy the pkgbuild to tmp "cp -r /var/abs/extra/mesa /tmp/"
  • goto the directory "cd /tmp/mesa"
  • download the sources "makepkg -o"
  • edit the file according to the patch ("gedit src/?esa-*/src/gallium/drivers/r300/r300_texture_desc.c") go to the lines with {{32,1 and {{8,1 and change them to {{32,2 and {{8,2
  • build the package "makepkg -e"
  • drink a cup of coffe
  • install all the packages you need (try sudo pacman -U *.pkg.tar.xz and see which packages are displayed as reinstall, cancel and then run pacman -U <all packages which were displayed as reinstall>
  • restart
I have created a PKGBUILD with the patch and also a source package, but AUR does not accept it, I think this is because it produces more than one package. If someone has time and knowledge, feel free to provide an easier AUR solution.

For the Ubuntu Guys: If you have the same problem, there is a mechanism for dpkg to get source packages and recompile. Just google it and apply the patch.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen